Beta Glucan Recipes! Let’s welcome the New Year with delicious ozoni!
The countdown to the New Year is finally underway. Flying kites and spinning tops are great during the New Year’s holiday, but one of the essential foods for the Japanese New Year is “ozoni”.
It is said that there are tens of thousands of different kinds of ozoni, each containing local products, ingredients, and soups. So, let’s take a look at some of them!
We asked Aureo employees what ingredients they put in ozoni and the style of mochi they use! At the end, we also introduce our original ozoni recipe using Aureo’s β-glucan, so please try making it!
We asked 30 Aureo employees! What kind of ozoni do you have at home?
We have a simple question: “Susumi” or “osusashi”? Soup with clear soup? Miso soup?
voting results Sushi group 26 respondents
Miso 4 people
What is your favorite style of rice cake?
voting results Bake 19 people
Boil 11 persons
We surveyed the most popular ingredients!
- Chicken meat Chicken, rich in protein and a good source of B vitamins, is a clear winner!
- Root Winter is the season! Rich in enzymes that aid digestion.
Asian ginseng Rich in beta-carotene! It becomes vitamin A in the body.
- eddo A staple in Japanese cuisine! Rich in dietary fiber.
spinach Iron & vitamin C to tone the body.
Other comments included the following
- Ours has yellowtail in it. (Shiro-miso group / baked round rice cake / Shiga Prefecture)
- We make it like Kiritanpo by adding Japanese parsley and Shirataki mushrooms (Akita Prefecture) Hinai Jidori chicken dashi osuzumi group / baked square rice cakes / Akita Prefecture)
- I must have bonito greens, a local vegetable! (Saga Prefecture, Japan)
Miso is minor? Here is an original ozoni recipe using Aureo’s β-glucan!
Mochi can be baked or boiled as you like!
Overwhelmingly popular in Kansai! Zoni with Miso
☆ Ingredients (2~3 servings)
- 600 ml water
- 6 pieces dried kombu (kelp)
- 2 tablespoons mirin (sweet cooking rice wine)
- 5 tablespoons miso of your choice
- Ingredients of your choice
(Example) Radish 100g
100 g carrot
Komatsuna greens, as desired
- 2~3 rice cakes of your choice
- 1 bag of Aureo β-glucan
☆ How to make
- Put water in a pot and add knotted kelp.
- Cut daikon and carrot into chunks, peel satoimo, and put them in the pot and heat.
- When the root vegetables are cooked and tender, add mirin, miso, and Aureo β-glucan.
- Put the komatsuna and rice cake from ② in a bowl and serve.
It is like an exotic New Year’s Day! Korean Kuppa-Style Ozoni
☆ Ingredients (2 to 3 servings)
- 400 ml water
- 100 ml of the rehydrated soup stock of dried shiitake mushrooms (A)
- 1 teaspoon chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 or 3 leeks
- 1/3 leek
- 1/3 carrot
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- Dried wakame seaweed, to taste
- 1 or 2 eggs
- A few handfuls of Korean laver
- A dash of white sesame seeds
- 6 rice cakes of your choice (this time I used Korean rice cake “tteok”)
- 1 bag of Beta Glucan EX (Aureo Beta Glucan)
- Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in water.
- Cut chives into 3-4 cm and carrots into strips, and fry lightly in sesame oil.
- Put water and [A] in a pot and heat. When it starts to boil, add the fried chives and carrots, chicken soup stock, soy sauce, and β-Glucan EX.
- After 2 minutes of adding rice cakes, add green onions and dried wakame seaweed.
- Serve in bowls, sprinkled with nori and white sesame seeds.
Aureo’s β-glucan is heat resistant, so even if you add it to hot ozoni, the ingredients will not change.
Please try adding Aureo’s β-glucan to your ozoni to revitalize your mind and body.
Zoni has the wish of “spending a happy new year”.
We wish you a healthy year in the coming year!